Skip to main content

Tokyo Disneyland

Hello everyone!

I'm sad to say that I will only be in Japan for two more days. Seeing as I posted on Friday night (last night), this blog post will be dedicated to the new foods I've tried whilst at the Tokyo Disney Resort today! Today was my first day visiting Tokyo Disneyland, and tomorrow I will once again be visiting Tokyo Disney Sea.

So first let's talk about some of the amazing street food I was able to try in Tokyo Disneyland. I tried two new flavours of popcorn, honey, which was not my favourite, and soy sauce and butter, which was delicious! What I really like about street food in Disney parks is that it is culturally specific. You would never find soy sauce popcorn in Disneyland in California. But of course, as my co-authors and I have been reflecting on, street food is much more than just food! It is a way for a culture to express their cuisine in an easy, quick, fun, and inexpensive way! (Although truthfully, I can't say that the street food in Disneyland is inexpensive). Nonetheless, it's worth the price! I tried a delicious cajun shrimp salad wrapped in a crepe, and was also able to try peach and milk ice cream - (Milk ice cream in Japan usually means vanilla). This was definitely the most delicious ice cream I've had in Japan! Peach seems to be a very popular flavour here in Japan, although I've yet to see any fresh peaches around here. Speaking of fresh fruit, when in Disneyland in Anaheim, one can find fresh fruit carts scattered throughout the park. However these fresh fruit carts are absent in Tokyo Disneyland. The closest thing I saw in Tokyo Disneyland was a small fruit cup. Understandably, California has some delicious fruit, but if there's one thing that has surprised me the most on my trip to Japan, it's the lack of fruits and vegetables. I find myself constantly craving fruits and vegetables because truly I can never find them in restaurants. That was one of the only things that disappointed me on this trip.



Something I really want to try is the mochi treats here in Disneyland, which are shaped like the little green aliens from Toy Story. These can be found in Tomorrowland in Tokyo Disneyland, or in a baked goods shop in Tokyo Disney Sea. These sticky treats are mochi (sticky rice flour pounded into a dough) filled with custard, strawberry cream, or chocolate, and are a fun mix of Japanese tradition and Disney's innovation! So kawaii!! I can't wait to try these treats tomorrow.

Next I was able to try the Critter Sunday from Critter Country in Tokyo Disneyland. This is a fun combination of a strawberry sundae with a strawberry churro, corn flakes, strawberry sauce, and rice krispies coated in candy. Churros are one of the most popular treats at Disneyland in California, so I'm not surprised to find this tasty Mexican street food can be found in Japan.


These are just a few of my favourite street food treats in Tokyo Disneyland, and I'm not sorry to admit that I'm stuffed after a full day of snacking on these delicious street foods. I can't wait to visit Tokyo Disneyland again when I come back to Japan in the future!

Bye for now!
Francesca

Comments