Skip to main content
We are just about one week into the trip so far and I can't decide whether I feel as though it's shorter or longer than that. On one hand, it seems impossible that a week has already passed and on the other, I feel like I've been in Japan forever (probably because we've done so much already)!

To be completely honest, when I first arrived, my initial opinion concerning Japanese cuisine was one of genuine admiration for Asian fusion foods. During the first few days, we ate so much food ranging from donuts in the shape of kittens, to steamed pork dumplings served on top of cabbage. Honestly, everything is utterly delicious! However, as the days have accumulated more and more, my body is beginning to crave fresh vegetables and fruit. Considering that we are in Japan, I figured this wouldn't be an issue with the tropical weather. Ha! Wrong!

Most restaurants here serve mainly carb loaded side dishes and protein by the pound. So unless you're ready to have ramen or stir fry, you're better off buying food at the grocery store and making it at home. For example, a small dish of broccoli at the ramen place we visited yesterday was 800 yen, the equivalent of an entire meal at the same restaurant.

Further, I have learned that a traditional breakfast in Japan consists of rice, miso soup, and grilled fish (or something of equivalent value). Considering that this is something I would typically eat for dinner, it is almost a little bit too heavy for me to have first thing in the morning. Nevertheless, there is always a solution! Ashley and I ended up grocery shopping and managed to find cereal and milk, we had this for breakfast this morning and I have never been so relieved to have something that my stomach is used to!

On the other hand, I have also noticed that there are tons of sweet treats being offered at every corner in Japan. We have tried many treats from convenience stores such as ice cream, hi-chews, and chocolates. But the street food is even better! For one, the crepes here are the best I have ever had (and that says a lot considering I have had authentic French crepes in Paris)! Further, the donuts here are delicious but also look like cute little animals and must be eaten the same day they are bought – this just proves how much effort goes into making each special treat.

Ultimately, it is evident that Japanese people make incredibly delicious food that is unfortunately heavier than what my diet is accustomed for. So, until my hands stop swelling from all of the sodium intake over the last week (yes I'm serious), I think I'm going to have to stick to my at home diet for a couple of days in order to rejuvenate my stomach and give it a short break before digging back into the delicious Japanese treats!

- Ivana

Comments